Sunday, May 14, 2006

More on Vista

I've been playing with Vista a little more today. Today's topics will be the 'Windows Sidebar' and WiFi.

The Sidebar is not automatically enabled in build 5381 so I had to have a hunt through the annoying wizardy-things. I eventually found it lurking in the depths of the Control Panel. Anyway I enabled it and immediately decided that suing the 'always on top' option was out of the question on a 4:3 screen. Secondly, I'm left thinking, "what is the point?"

There is a big analogue clock which looks very pretty but you may as well use the (easier to read) digital clock in the taskbar. An RSS reader could be handy, except you only get two lines of each feed item and the text is tiny too. A PostIt Note-type pad could prove handy for jotting things down and there is a CPU/memory usage 'gadget' that showed me how hard my machine is working just typing this!

Onto the disaster that is wireless networking. Until I have a different NIC available, I cannot promise that part of the problems aren't due to the D-Link DWL-G650+ cardbus adapter that I am trying to use. My AP is a 3COM 8250 which has had no problems with MacOS X, Windows XP or Windows Mobile.

After trying every type of encrypted and unencrypted connection, I couldn't get a connection between the laptop and network. When a connection was made, no IP address could be gathered. Most bizzarre!

As an aside, something else that I have noticed, is that the laptop is CONSTANTLY reading from the hard disk. This certainly does not bode well and I'm not even sure why it is happening - it's not as if it needs to be paging!

More to come soon ;-)

2 comments:

Ric said...

Would have been a good idea to mention the machine spec...

I am using a HP nc8000 laptop. The spec is:
* Pentium-M 1.6
* 512MB RAM
* 40GB Hard Disk
* ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics

Anonymous said...

Im using the same laptop with Vista - no issue with wireless networking at all.

HDD does not get read all the time either.

Vista is flying! Games run fantastically well, networking is smooth all in all best OS I have ever used.

Just make sure you are running latest drivers for XP (they only install manually by the way).

Using Vista RC1 5600