Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Citrix XenServer 5 Upgrade

Ever since the release day of XenServer 5, I have been trying to upgrade my two hosts. This should have been a painless task taking less than an hour.

My first problem was that the documented uprade method was wrong... rather than putting a host into maintenance mode, all the VMs had to be moved to a pool member from the pool master and then the pool master had to be upgraded first.

The problem I then hit was that one of my storage repositories (SRs) would not reconnect. The full account is documented here but basically, the XenServer hosts decided that the LUN was wrong.

I have now got that fixed and it's all running smoothly. I activated the new HA features - how easy? Clickity click and it was done!

The new performance monitoring is amazing and everything seems good.

Time to virtualise some more servers I think ;-)

No comments: