Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Phillips Pronto Remotes (on Linux!)

Some of you may know about my little project at home which will ultimately mean that that I have a Linn Knekt multiroom sound system, Comfort Alarm system (with home automation stuff) and multiple Pronto remotes.

I recently purchased 5 Prontos from eBay (one for each family member) and now need to program them but have found ProntoEdit to be a PITA to work with... plus it doesn't work on Linux :-(

I have found a project called Tonto (see
http://giantlaser.com/tonto/ ) which is written in Java. I haven't fully tested this yet but it does look promising and is supposedly more intuitive. I will update soon on this!

What I will say is how to run the bloody thing in Ubuntu because that was a bugger to set up!


First you need the latest JRE...
apt-get install sun-java6-jre

You then need to extract tonto to /usr/share and edit the tonto.sh file to point to the jre...
JHOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre"

Then make the tonto.sh file executable...
chmod +x tonto.sh

Then simply run tonto.sh and the job should be a good 'un ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I was looking for a way to modify my pronto without vmware/windows machine. Your tip worked on Archlinux (with a few mods:)

Anonymous said...

tnx for this
it helped me a lot

now it works

Anonymous said...

tnx for this
it helped me a lot

now it works

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to experiment my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it's really amazing, thanks.

- Joe