Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Citrix Fun

If anybody doesn't already know... I love Citrix!

Anyway... since getting my X60 laptop, I haven't been able to run the ICA Client :-( It turns out that this is a known bug to do with UTF-8 locales - something that Etch uses by default.

After trying the recommended work arounds to no avail, I discovered that the only bit that wasn't working was the selection of the applications from the browse list (ignoring the warning messages when running wfmgr from the command line).

If I type the application name in manually, I can connect to my applications.... YAY!!!

I know that this configuration isn't ideal but I can put up with it for now because it works. I was a little dissapointed not to have any replies to my post on the Citrix forums though :-( Usually you get a response within the hour (and a good response at that!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ric,

i tried to install the newest citrix client as well on my debian etch box. It seems that is it not working because of some openmotif dependencies.Can you enlighten me about the proper installation ?
Thanks in advance,

-- Joerg

my eMail address is

joergheuer ( a/t ) gmail.com

Ric said...

The way that I do this is to download the required version from http://www.motifzone.net/ - alas no DEB is available so I use Alien to install the RPM (I haven' had any luck with compiling from source).

Once you have installed Motif, you need to put a link in so that the ICA client looks in the right place for it. Check out http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=16&threadID=88558&tstart=0 for more info.

I have also found that to actually get the sessions to start you need to run a little command (xset fp rehash). This basically fixes the font issues.

It is indeed a PITA but worth it in the end ;-)