Monday, July 31, 2006

Today I have been mostly... installing Sophos

For several months now, one of my servers has been a little overloaded. It is a dual Opteron 248 with 4GB RAM but it has been performing the following roles:
  • Exchange 2003 Server (for 1100+ users)
  • WSUS Server
  • Sophos Enterprise Manager and Library Server
  • Print Server (including Print Manager Plus)
  • Retrospect backup
As you can imagine, it didn't like doing all this (especially the huge email database combined with the two instances of MSDE for WSUS and Sophos). I decided that the easiest thing to move was Sophos and the re-homing coincided nicely with the release of the latest release of the admin software. Having downloaded the package from the Sophos website, I unpacked the files and set about installing it my second DC. All was going very well until the installer tried to set up MSDE. No matter what I tried I could not get MSDE to install... even when I tried to install it from the redistributable fresh from MS. It was most odd; the MSI installer crept along until a couple of blocks from the end and then sort or re-wound with no explanation other than a message in the event log saying that the MSI installation had failed! After this had annoyed me for nearly an hour, I decided to approach the problem from a different angle... enter SQL Server 2005 Express. I installed this and then just told the Sophos installer to use this instance rather than installing MSDE... easy as! After then going through all the EM Library options, I left the server downloading the Sophos AV packages for 2000/XP, OS X and Linux over lunch and upon my return all was well. The new version of the EM Console works well and all the installations went flawlessly. I was particularly impressed by the new policy-based system. Time will tell how well this continues to work and I must admit not all of my machines were on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Least you have had some sucess with it Ric, just keep an eye on your machines loads. Don't know how it will affect ur Citrix terminal stuff, but on our real machines, anything less than 512MB ram its now a joke having Sophos on them. The servers for managing around 300 clients, the TS guy I spoke to suggested 2GB ram in the Server! So its a beast now so see how it goes. I am tempted to back track to V5 again, it may have its issues but it won't cost me about 2K in memory upgrades to stop people complaining about slow PCs and Laptops.